DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been having neck problems for the past 3 years. (Im

Customer Question

I have been having neck problems for the past 3 years. (I'm 27) It goes stiff alot of the time and the only way to relieve the stiffness is to crack my neck. I have been to a chiropractor which said there is nothing wrong with my spine, all he does is charge me alot of money to crack my neck which i only see making the matter worse.

I try my best not to crack my neck but sometimes it does it on its own, especially when i first wake up and its really stiff. I also take supplement tablets to try and help but its not getting any better and im worried about permanent long term damage. Any advice?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

Yes this is a common problem.
And just cracking your neck can cause rebound, the need, or feeling, to crack the neck again to relieve stiffness.

For some patients this will not settle down with chiropractic and can even become worse, so it is the wrong approach for this problem.

Really smart chiropractors know that other somatic therapies or physical therapy is needed and they so refer their patients.

Best somatic therapy to stop this reflex..Alexander technique, in my view.

Next best, good cranial osteopathy...hard to find.

Just as good, physical therapy as directed by an MD called a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, and they are readily available.
Also this would give a better exam of your whole body and how it is working together.

Best supplement, magnesium.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.