Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

I had a wisdom tooth removed last Friday. The pain is subsiding

Customer Question

I had a wisdom tooth removed last Friday. The pain is subsiding but I have a large white/cream substance coming out of the socket. It is firm and flaps about and I am not sure whether I should leave it alone or pull it off. A little bit of this stuff is also on my inside cheek.
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 3 years ago.

Dr Wajid :

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to our site

Dr Wajid :

I would like to help you with your question...

Dr Wajid :

The white substance that you are talking about is most likely the filling done by your dentist to fill up the defect in your socket after removal of the tooth

Dr Wajid :

You shoul not try to pull it out yourself and better leave it alone

Dr Wajid :

Get your dentist to decide what he wants to do with it on the next visit

Dr Wajid :

He will probably remove it himself once the wound heals

Dr Wajid :

Till then just bear with it

Dr Wajid :

I hope I have been helpful

Dr Wajid :

Do you have any further querries?

Dr Wajid :

Let me know if you need any further information

Dr Wajid :

Also do leave a positive feedback if you feel satisfied with my response

Dr Wajid :

Customer:

I thought this might be Thrush or puss from an infection

Dr Wajid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr Wajid :

Thrush is usually soft and easily removable and it does not come in so early if your oral hygiene has been satisfactory

Dr Wajid :

Also puss is usually more watery in consistency... And with both thrush and puss, you should have considerable amount of pain and inflammation at the site of tooth removal

Dr Wajid :

There is nothing in your history to suggest any of these possibilities

Dr Wajid :

Dr Wajid :

Do you have any more questions?

Customer:

Dr Wajid :

You are welcome

Dr Wajid :

Please do leave a positive feedback if you feel satisfied with my response

Dr Wajid :

Dr Wajid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dentist says he did not put anything in the socket.He does not know what it is and said to go back next week. However, today this stuff came off by itself and now I have a huge gaping hole. Is this normal and how long will it take to close?

Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 3 years ago.
Hi again...

Thank you for the follow up...

Can you please tell me what this stuff looked like?

Any signs of infection?

Do you have pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This stuff was a creamy yellow colour and covered the socket with like a tail fin flapping about. My dentist thought it was part of the clot but didn't really know. I think it was part or all of the clot but where was the blood?! Anyway, it has come off now and I can see whitish stuff at the bottom of the socket. I still get some background pain - worst in the middle of the night but not very bad. No signs of infection and I am not sure whether I need to bother the dentist again. Thank you for your interest.

Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 3 years ago.
Hi again...

Thank you for the detailed description...

It seems you are not yet quite out of the woods with regard to dry socket and the creamy white coating is normal...

It is simply the blood clot, which takes on that appearance after the saliva has leached out the red blood cells...

As I said earlier it is normal, and will fade as healing proceeds...

Just try not to poke it since it may get infected...

I hope I have been helpful

Regards Dr Wajid

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. That is reassuring.

Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome...

Have a nice day