Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I had a filling in a top molar 17 days ago. The dentist said

Customer Question

I had a filling in a top molar 17 days ago. The dentist said I had a very "Low Pulp" and I could get a lot of toothache. I am. Is the nerve going to die and how long will it take for the pain to go?
In agony.
Sue
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.
You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you have fever?

Dr. Sohaib :

Swelling around the affected area?

Dr. Sohaib :

Any concurrent medical illness?

JACUSTOMER-pdetanhb- : 8'no fever, no swelling and no illnesses
Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information. There are few important causes for you to have pain for such a long duration after the filling. First of all, this can be due to "Acute Pulpitis", which is an acute inflammation of the pulp (that contains nerve endings and blood vessels) usually lasting 2-4 weeks. This inflammation can give you a severe pain. Also, If the pulp gets infected, then this inflammation will continue leading to the death of pulp (necrosis) with an abscess formation, and in that case you would require Root Canal Therapy. Finally, a hairline crack in the filling can also make your tooth very sensitive to hot/cold and can give you pain. Keeping in view the severity of pain you have until now, its imperative to get back to your dentist, discuss the details i have mentioned and get further management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

Dr. Sohaib :

You can also ask him for prescription strength stron pain medications such as tramadol, oxycodone or hydrocodone, to control the pain you have.

Dr. Sohaib :

*strong pain medications

Dr. Sohaib :

At home, you can add Tylenol to Nurofen and both working together will give you a more sustained and better pain relief.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question. Wish you Good luck & Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

JACUSTOMER-pdetanhb- : Thank you, I'll phone him tomorrow . I just hoped the pain would go and the nerve die...
Dr. Sohaib :

Welcome and Goodluck.

Dr. Sohaib :

At this point, you should have a re-evaluation done.

Dr. Sohaib :

This may settle down gradually, but its imperative to rule out any complication.

Dr. Sohaib :

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib :

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise.

Dr. Sohaib :

Let me know if something remains unanswered for you. I will be glad to assist.