Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

What are symptoms of morphine sulfate withdrawl? And, what

What are symptoms of morphine sulfate withdrawl? And, what can be done to help a person go through withdrawl?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Morphine belongs to a class of drugs called opiates, all of which have got a very high addictive potential.

These drugs when stopped can lead to severe withdrawl symptoms which are difficult to tolerate most of the times and one need medical help to bear the withdrawl phase and pass through it successfully.

The withdrawal symptoms can begin as early as six hours after the last dose and can last up to one week.

To ease out the withdrawl symptoms, the doctors prescribe some drugs that can be very helpful.

Such drugs include Methadone and Buprenorphine that can be prescribed to her, which is a suitable treatment of the narcotic withdrawal syndrome. This is followed by a slow process of then weaning you off the methadone.

Other drugs like catapres can also be used to control several withdrawl symptoms, such as runny nose, sweating, cramps etc.

Hence she should discuss these details with her doctor who may also advice to get in to a treatment program to help her deal with the psychological dependence, and to join support groups etc.

You can read more about the details of these symptoms and treatment by clicking the link below;

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000949.htm

Both the patient and the physician working together can make it a success comfortably ---- to get off morphine completely.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Thank you very much for visiting us.

Wish you good luck & Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What can she do to deal with the pain caused by Fibromyalgia if she stops using morphine? If she continues using morphine, how can she manage the pain without misusing the morphine?

Okay.

There are other options for pain management in fibromyalgia.

Infact they are more helpful compared to morphine.

Aerobic exercise, psychological and behavioural approaches are also of great benefit.

Antidepressant drugs.

Anticonvulsant drugs.

Nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics.

Muscle relaxants.

Dopamine agonists.

And dietary changes can also reduce the pains/flare-ups of fibromyalgia.

Read the book "Figuring Out Fibromyalgia: Current Science and the Most Effective Treatments" by Ginevra Lipton. Its very helpful.

I hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For the fee I'm paying, I expected more detailed information about the suggested drugs and advice. Otherwise I am still thankful to you for what you did provide. May you and your family experience Peace and Joy. Thanks, +Paul

Thank you very much.

Well, i would like to explain fibromyalgia a little more to help you understand this disease, and possible management solutions.

First, this is a functional disorder, which means that there is no problem with the muscles or bones in the body of the affected individual. Its actually the increased pain perception in the brain due to release of neurotransmitters like "substance P".

Also, the most recent research has shown that lack of "Deep Sleep" is also responsible for people to develop these symptoms. This means that people suffering from this disorder may be apparently having a normal sleep, but the quality of their sleep is very poor, and they are not aware of this.

As a result all the modern treatment modalities focus more on maintaining the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain and to ensure adequate good quality sleep, instead of simply prescribing pain killers.

Morphine, is no where mentioned for fibromyalgia treatment, and is in general reserved for some acute painful emergency situations such as heart attack or trauma.

Since she has been on morphine for long, this need to be tapered off gradually to minimize the withdrawl symptoms. At the same time she should also receive other drugs to reduce withdrawl pain.

And she should be on the specific treatment for Fibromyalgia, which i dont see she has been offered. You can see there are number of drugs and treatment modalities i have mentioned.

His doctor may start her on antidepressants, or combination of drugs to minimize the painful symptoms she has due to fibromyalgia.

Let me know if you have other questions regarding this, i will be glad to assist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this information, which I have not received before. Hopefully, one last question: What are specific drugs in your list below that we can suggest to her primary care physician that might be helpful? We want to be well informed when we talk with the Doctor in trying to cure or live with Fibromyalgia. The list is:

Antidepressant drugs.

Anticonvulsant drugs.

Nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics.

Muscle relaxants.

I usually start with antidepressant drugs; and so do most of the clinicians. They can be used either alone, or in combination with muscle relaxants or hypnotics depending upon nature of predominant symptoms and their severity.

I hope i answered to your satisfaction now.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities