Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have a golf ball in my throat felling after eating, it feels

I have a golf ball in my throat felling after eating, it feels like back preasure
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using this site. I am Dr Ken and would do the best I can to answer your question.

Do not forget - The deposit you placed to asked this question in not used to compensate me until you rate my answer. Please remember when you are asked for rating, you are rating 'My Service' and not the site itself or your device.

Since when are you having this symptoms? Are there associated symptoms like pain/ fever or swelling or difficulty in breathing? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had this for all of last year, I have had a colonoscopy a gastroscopy and a video capsule awaiting for result, all enoscopes look normal.

I have been treated for h.pylori but still have this pressure in my throat felling.

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I do understand your anxiety. I am happy that there are no other associated symptom.

Feeling of golf ball at the throat can be due to varied causes. In your case I would think of - reflux disease/ diverticulum {out-pouching}/ irritation at the mucosa of throat {inflammation, allergy or post nasal drip}.

I would get barium study to look for reflux or any diverticulum/ esophageal peristalsis study to look for any abnormal muscle movement of the esophagus/ throat swab and blood tests. Gastroscopy may pick up changes due to reflux. You need to wait for the results.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ have multiple small meals instead of few large/ avoid lying down immediately after food, raise the head part of your bed/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ stay away from anxiety or stress {Yoga, meditation help}. TUMS, a glass of cold milk do sooth the mucosa to give relief.

Wish you well.

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more detail. If you feel the need to click either " Bad service" or "Helped a little", please stop and reply via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to explain more on the specific concern.

Best

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will lansoperozole help? my doctor has prescribed this. also I was wondering if milk maybe a problem ie, lactose intolerance ?

what do you think?

Eddie

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hello Eddie,

Yes, Lansoprazole should help. It is proton pump inhibitor and decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach thus the reflux too. Avoid milk if you have lactose intolerance. The main aim is to sooth the mucosa of the stomach.

Best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what can I do to get rid of this lump in my throat feeling?

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Keeping the throat wet {with sips of warm water}/ avoiding spasms of the throat {avoiding exposure to allergens}/ Benadryl and Motrin should relieve inflammation and irritation. Warm water gargles should help too.

Best