Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I would like to ask how long does alcohol stay in your urine.

Customer Question

I would like to ask how long does alcohol stay in your urine. If I drink 2 glasses of wine today march 20 and do a urine test Monday 3/25/13 will I be ok

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Whether the test will be positive will depend upon what test is being done. A simple test for alcohol will clearly be negative, as the alcohol is metabolized within a day. However, there are tests that look for metabolites of the alcohol, and the length of time after drinking that the test can be positive will depend upon the test.

The most commonly used test is for EtG (ethyl glucuronide). The EtG test will usually be negative within a day or two, but is reported that it can be positive for up to 80 hours after drinking alcohol. Therefore, in this case if an EtG test is done, testing on Monday will also be negative.

There are some newer tests that can be used, such as PEth (phosphatidyl ethanol), that can be positive for a longer period of time. These tests can be positive for up to 3 weeks, although primarily only in someone that has had moderate alcohol intake over several days. In this case, there is a chance that it could be positive.

Therefore, if the test is for alcohol or the most commonly used metabolite of alcohol, then you can be certain that the test on Monday will be negative. The only concern is if one of the newer tests that can be positive for a longer period of time is done.

If you have any further questions or need any clarification, please let me know.