Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Hello! I get nosebleeds very regularly for no known reason

Customer Question

Hello! I get nosebleeds very regularly for no known reason in both nostrils. For the past three weeks I've been having one every other night, and they often happen when I first get up. I've had blood tests several times in the past but all of them have come back clear, and the ENT doctor said that he could not find any capillaries in my nose that could be causing the problem.

My other symptoms include a difficulty in blood clotting for major injuries (6+ hours for a tooth extraction to clot) but no particular difficulties in small wounds healing or clotting and no particular susceptibility to bruising. Blood tests within the past year have confirmed that I am not anemic.
In addition, whether or not it is related, since my nosebleeds started becoming more frequent, I have had irregular and more frequent menstruation (Two in three weeks.)
Is there anything that could be causing this?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

It's reassuring that your blood tests have come back normal. Nosebleeds are very common, especially in some individuals and they tend to be worse in the winter when the air is drier and/or we use heaters to stay warm.

Doctor-Bob :

There are many tiny friable blood vessels in the "lobby" of the nose, where the air is continually passing over the mucous membranes and small blood vessels are being damaged, repaired, and new ones formed.

Customer:

Is there anything that I can do to prevent or lessen them? Usually they last for 40 minutes+ and are more of a constantly 'flow' than a drip of blood. It has left me feeling dizzy and lightheaded quite often, too.

Doctor-Bob :

This process can be affected by one's hormonal environment as well, as hormones can affect the stability of small blood vessels, especially new ones that are forming, so you should see a gynecologist to find out what is causing your abnormal menstruation. Fixing this could help your nosebleeds.

Doctor-Bob :

In addition, be sure to avoid aspirin and aspirin related products as these can impair one's ability to clot.

Customer:

Ooo, I hadn't thought to do that before. I'll certainly do that. Thank you!

Doctor-Bob :

Have you tried rubbing vaseline into the nostrils every day? Many individuals find that this protects the mucous membranes from the air and water and other "insults" and helps prevent the blood vessels from breaking.

Customer:

I did try this for a few weeks and it didn't really lessen them. I also tried a humidifier which also didn't help. Is there any chance that it could be allergy related? As I feel as though I've had a constant 'cold' for as long as I can remember, and have never really addressed it.

Doctor-Bob :

yes, either an allergen or repeated viruses can disrupt the stability of the nasal mucosa. are you on a daily anti-histamine such as claritin or ceterizine?

Doctor-Bob :

you might also benefit from an inhaled steroid every day to reduce inflammation.

Customer:

I've never used any anti-histamines, but I'll be certain to get some. Being in the armed forces I'm limited against inhalers, but if it does not improve by claritin then I'll certainly look into it.

Customer:

Thank you very much for giving me a few more options to consider, hopefully it will aid me in getting this irksome problem fixed!

Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine