Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have severe pain under my left boob have been hospitalised

Customer Question

I have severe pain under my left boob have been hospitalised and they want me to have a barium meal follow through BUT i have very severe pain when simply drinking water is it safe to do a barium - as I do not know if I have a perferated gut - did not run this test whilst I was in but did a ct scan -
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. Would you like to chat on this? Scroll down in this window if you do not see your message. Please type your message in the box below and press enter or reply to chat.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

I was trying to chat live with you on this.

I would like to know -

Have you had a Upper GI Endoscopy?

WHat was the provisional diagnosis given in the hospital?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was in hospital and in the time I was in i had a ct scan which indicated ovarian cysts .. and a uti.. I was given iv antibiotics of gentamycin with blood tests daily and tomacin via intravenous - for 4 days .. pain in left side still present and made worse everytime I eat and drink but especially when I drink I was put on tramadol 50mg and they completely knock me out I sleep most of the day am completely zonked - pain slightly less reason I didnt get back to you was that I headed off to a private appt where Iwas advised to have a colonoscopy but that costs over 1.4K I cannot afford that... I was born in uk and have always worked in the uk so I am guessing I can go to my doctor and request that this be done via the NHS this Colonoscopy.. tomorrow Sunday 24th March 13 at 4pm I am to mix contents of sachet a and b for a barium meal follow thorough test which takes place on monday at 9am at the hospital i was in ... I am diabetic type 2 and on metformin 500 x3 p/day candastartin for BP 32mg and siptagliptin 1 x 100 p/day I sufer from gastric problems and am forever consuming gaviscon.. when I drink water I am in a lot of pain and was wondering if it was safe to do the barium mixture tomorrow please help me to understand if you can - Nina XXXXX XXXXXXX thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

22 March 2013 05:41 EST

I would like to know -

Have you had a Upper GI Endoscopy?

In hospital diagn was inconclusive pending further tests not sure what an upper GI endoscopy it is the test that they do with camera down the throat if so no I have not had that done... infact I was in hospital 7 days and in that time first three days on fluids only and only CT scan done and a transvaginal ultrasound - waste of time being kept in as I hardly had any tests done I only had the transv test and the barium was arranged only cos I said I wanted to know what the diagnosis was and I was told that they did not know - I insisted on having more tests as they told me I had cysts on ovaries apparently they performed a CA125 and was given a result of 11 whatever that means... they said they needed the bed and I was to go home...am disgusted that the only reason I had the Ultrasound and the Barium organised was cos I complained. the doctor said go home and come back as an outpatient ... when I said you are sending me home with the same pain I came in with I apologised if I was being a difficult patient upon which came the reply ... you are being difficult you are being very difficult and with that I made a complaint and once I done that - they arranged for me to have the Barium this monday instead of 4-5 weeks down the line... and that is when I went online but whilst logging on was also trying to get an appt at a private hospital and that is why I did not get the chance to respond - I have also send you an update of the meds am currently on thank you for listening xxx xxx xxx Nina XXXXXXX...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

plse note my email [email protected] and it seems that I have paid a fee but not had a response to my original question.. hopefully I will be given a reply as I had to rush off to a private med appt which I managed to get which Ihave commented on below.. however I was unsure as to whether you had taken my money and it seems that you have... could I please request an answer to my original question which you were wanting further information on.. which Ihave now given as of the evening of 23march13