Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 49 year old wife and mother. Last month I suffered a

Customer Question

I am a 49 year old wife and mother. Last month I suffered a possible seizure. My eeg revealed that my brain activity was being affected by my prescribed extra high dosages of zyprexa and xanax. I will now be entering Cleveland Clinic to wean myself off of theses drugs. How long can I expect to be in the hospital. I have been on xanax 6milligrams and zyprexa 10mg. I am also on wellbutrin and recently weaned myself off of zoloft. My doctor had even prescribed xanax 2 milligrams as needed. I feel so betrayed and was told by several specialists that I needed to detoxx but I trusted this doctor. Now I have to leave my husband and kids to get this poison out of my system. I don't care what it takes I just want it gone so I can be a wife and mother that my family deserves. Sorry for the long message but I am devistated. I love my family and would never have taken these drugs had I known. Right now I am barely functioning.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Are you trying to get off all the medications?

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

Yes. I am not your average drug user and was unaware that the high level of meds were effecting my brain. Last month I was driving my son and just made it into the house before I passed put. But I don't know what to expect during my hospital stay. I am highly motivatedto get off of this shit.

Mysticdoc :

Why were these medications prescribed in the first place?

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

I was told I had an anxiety disorder and my psychiatrist prescribed these meds 5 years ago. I really trusted him and was unaware of what was happeing. I have also have had several auras. I thought they were just panicd attacks. Since the eeg we did a little on line research and discovered that this doctor regularly over prescribes meds.

Mysticdoc :

That is very unfortunate.

Mysticdoc :

Indeed these medications are not required for anxiety disorder.

Mysticdoc :

Too many medications which can precipitate seizure and mental fogginess.

Mysticdoc :

Since you have been on these medications for several years, it will take some time to wean off them.

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

I feel horrible leaving my kids. What can I expect during my hospital stay.

Mysticdoc :

Initially you may have to spend about 2 weeks in the hospital to make sure you are not having withdrawal seizures.

Mysticdoc :

Your medications will be tapered slowly.

Mysticdoc :

Xanax takes longer time than othes.

Mysticdoc :

Xanax can be tapered outpatient basis after initial hospital stay.

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

I am a good wife and mom. I would have never allowed this had I known.

Mysticdoc :

This is not your fault .

Mysticdoc :

Please do not blame yourself.

Mysticdoc :

I have no doubt you are excellent person.

Mysticdoc :

But, this will take some time as these medications require careful tapering to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

I just feel so responsible because I try to be a good mom and wife. Last summer my son was in a drowning experience and survived he was 24 days in a coma. And know I have this to add to my family. They don't deserve this. You can bet I will never allow this to happen again.

Mysticdoc :

These events happen and sometimes you will have no control over them.

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

Please tell me everything will be okay. I feel terrible to add this to an already terrible year.

Mysticdoc :

But good thing is you are in right direction.

Mysticdoc :

you are going to an excellent medical center.

Mysticdoc :

And you will be off these medications in next few weeks.

Mysticdoc :

That will be the greatest gift for your family once you are off the meds and everything will be fine.

Mysticdoc :

Wish you the best,

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

Thanks for listening.

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

You helped get me through one of my sad spells.

Mysticdoc :

My pleasure.

Mysticdoc :

And you should feel good that you are in right direction

JACUSTOMER-ldmtvaxd- :

Thanks again.

Mysticdoc :

You will see the better days ahead

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/