Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My wife has a painful swollen spleen. What treatment do we

Customer Question

My wife has a painful swollen spleen. What treatment do we need .
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA

You have to know why the spleen is swollen.

Do you know why?

What is the diagnosis?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All we know is that she has had a vaginal infection and started anti biotics yesterday. Today she developed all the symptoms of a swollen spleen including the swelling.
We only know that the spleen is swollen but dont kniw why
You can not see or feel a swollen spleen in most cases...where is this swelling?

How was this diagnosed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The swelling is in the upper left abdomen under the lower rib. The spleen is enlarged and been checked by a non specialist doctor.

She has strong pain in the upper left abdomen under the lower rib. The pain is also being felt in the left shoulder, occasionally the back , and also when breathing.
OK
Was there any imaging of this
CT scan for example?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not yet
OK
It could also be pancrease
If her pain is getting wrose she belongs in the ER
Pancreatitis can become dangerous and life threatening, and you don't know what is going on until she has a scan.

I would have this now.

The spleen can be enlarged for a numver of different reasons, autoimmune disease, liver disease, and other diseases such as certain dysplastic symdromes and cancers, which means you have to find out why and then treat the underlying cause.

Pancreatitis can be for a number of different reasons as well.

Shee neecs to see an GI doctor as soon as possible, but I would get a scan or ultrasound now.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doctor is now saying that she has colopathy.
He still has not ordered a CT or ultrasound scan to check her organs.
My wife is currently in morocco and i dont trust the hospital in marakech
I don't know what colopathy is
Pathology of the colon?
This would need a colonoscopy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The moroccan doctor also talked of her digestive system being unwell and that my wife should visit a dietician for good diet advice.
But my wife is not an unhealthy eater, is 175cm tall and only weighs 60 kilo.
I also dont know what colopathy is.
Is he talking sense about her stomach and intestines ?
If he things this is a colon problem she needs a scope.
I see no clear diagnosis here
I would insiste on a scan frist to see what is swollen.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is a scope please .?
One last thing is that she has also been suffering headaches / migraines almost every day for the last weeek which is unusual for her
A clononoscopy is a scope that looks into the colon.
I would do an MRI or CT of the abdome first.
If this is spleen or liver..see if it is tumor, or what.

I am not suprised she has headaches as well, as she appears ill.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife has just informed me that she is sometimes having problems breathing deeply. Like she gets a feeling that it gets stuck or something.
Her breathing is not normal.
Can this be linked to any abdominal pain .
Yes it can
You need to take here to the hospital, where they can admit here and do testing.
This is not something to wait on and try to figure out.