How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18781
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

i cant pee and i have to

Customer Question

i can't pee and i have to
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How long has this been a problem?
Are you having any pain? If so, how severe is the pain?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
I had asked for some additional information, but have not heard back, but I wanted to provide an answer with what information is available.

In a man, the most common reason why urine cannot be passed is because of obstruction at the level of the prostate. If it is of short duration and sudden onset with no prior problems, the primary concern would be an infection of the prostate causing swelling and obstruction. If the symptoms have been gradually building, even if suddenly severe, that would be more indicative of benign hypertrophy of the prostate. There are some other possible causes, such as obstruction because of some scarring, but these other causes are less likely.

Proper treatment would depend upon the underlying cause. If there is a prostate infection, then it would be treated with antibiotics. If benign hypertrophy and there is not much pain, then there are several medicines that your doctor can prescribe to help improve urine flow. However, the first issue is whether there is severe pain. Regardless of the underlying cause, if there is complete obstruction or near complete obstruction, then the bladder can become excessively distended, and once it gets to a certain point, will be causing severe pain. If it gets to this level (or has already gotten to this level), then you should be seen emergently at a hospital, as the only way to obtain relief from this severe level of pain is to place a catheter into the bladder and drain the urine. If this is not done, not only will the pain get worse, but it will also ultimately back up and affect kidney function.