Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

For the last 6 months and not every day but often, I get this

Customer Question

For the last 6 months and not every day but often, I get this scratchy sort of pain under my bottom left rib cage area when I pass a motion. It is as if the act of the bowel working is making it knock into something in there. This morning the scratchy pain was a bit more pronounced and I do wonder what it could be. I am otherwise extremely healthy. I am a 52 year old female. My bowel habits are very normal. Same time every morning, no sign of blood etc. Thanks for any advice.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

I can appreciate your concern.

This is something that needs to be taken seriously.

One important possibility is that it could be angina pectoris - pain in the heart. Angina can be precipitated by bowel movements in some patients - this is a known phenomena. There are also other possibilies - it could be subdiaphragmetic abscess - an accumulation of pus under the diaphragm, causing pain during the strain of bowel movement. It could also be splenic flexure syndrome - a bubble of gas in the splenic flexure of the colon. Splenic or liver abnormalities and abscess are other possibilities. The increased intrabdominal pressure during bowel movement may cause pain in small abnormalities which are not showing any other symptoms at present.

Angina remains the most important possibility that needs to be ruled out.

I would advise an early consultation with your doctor. Ask about these possibilities. All these need to be ruled out.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a happy face on the row of faces below to give me an 'excellent/good service' rating. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credited from the site for the time and care I have taken with your answer. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.