DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I saw my regular dentists today, due to some pain in a gold

Customer Question

I saw my regular dentists today, due to some pain in a gold capped jaw tooth (the lower tooth next to the jaw tooth). He took an xray and told me I would have to see a specialists that the tooth had decayed under the cap, next to the gumline, and I was in danger of losing my tooth. I thought the whole reason for getting a tooth capped was to preserve the tooth from decay and loss in the first place. I also take Dilantin and Seroquel, which I know are not good for my teeth, but I am tenacious in brushing, flossing and taking care of my teeth. I am 57, almost 58 years old. In your opinion, would it be worth trying to save this tooth, or just have it pulled? Thank you.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
It is worth saving th tooth if you can.
If some decay were missed before capping it, this can result.
Sometimes this happens in any case.
I would see the specialist, particularly if it is a more supportive tooth, such as a molar.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.