DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I take one 5MG of Warfarin a day, in using I get nosebleed

Customer Question

I take one 5MG of Warfarin a day, in using I get nosebleed in about 30 days, I stop taking the medicine for 4 to 5 days. The nosebleed stops, I start taking again, in about the nose-bleed starts again. This has happens for six months. The doctor wants to do surgery. I had that same surgery 10 years ago. I am 74 years of age. Should I do the surgery?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Yes
If you need to be on the coumadin, and you have a bleeding vessel in the nose that interferes, then it needs to be fixed.

That is the only way to possibly stop the bleeding.

If you continue to do what you are doing, the vessel could get worse and you could bleed to the extent that it is life threatening.

And you are endangering yourself by stopping your coumadin for 4 or 5 days at a time.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.