Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im pretty sure I took 2 nexium 40 mg pills about 30 mins ago.

Customer Question

I'm pretty sure I took 2 nexium 40 mg pills about 30 mins ago. They are time released. I have been taking nexium for over a year and prevaicd over the counter before that. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Could you clarify your question?
Are you asking about whether there is any concern about taking this amount of Nexium?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that is my question. I am only suppose to take one and I think I took 2

There is no problem with taking this amount of Nexium. Although the usual dose of Nexium for most individuals is 20-40 mg once daily, there are some people that secrete an excessive amount of stomach acid in whom higher doses of Nexium is routinely provided, and doses up to 240 mg per day in two divided doses have been used. Therefore, there is no problem with accidentally taking a single extra dose of the Nexium.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, I was worried because I had read that you should contact posion control center or your doctor and it is really late here.

You're welcome. There is no need to do so for only a single extra dose.