DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Grandson of 15 years diagnosed with T M Y Ankylosis and needs

Customer Question

Grandson of 15 years diagnosed with T M Y Ankylosis and needs operation. Are there centres of excellence in this field as Leeds as only done this opp once before.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
What type of doctor does he have now?

What type of operation before

Which doctor, what type, did the previous operation, and is he following up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He,s not had any opp yet.The family local Dr has refered him to Leeds dental hospital where he,s had various scans etc and Tmy Ankylosis dyagnosed. The consulant Dr Lachan Carter wants to opperate as soon as possible with implanting bone taken from elsewhere inhead? BUT they are lacking in sending any written details of opp. and have only done this opp once befor hence my concern on top of Leeds present problems. Hope this explans.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
There is no center specifically for this disorder.

It would be oral surgery.

Leeds dental hospital is it in leeds
Willing to travel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Leeds dental hospital is in Leeds north Yorkshire........BUT I would assume that there would be other dental hospitals that would have done this opp more than once before and therefore more experienced with the relevant techniques .Don't want to be a guinea pig..!

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
You are going to have to find the surgeon who has done these..and I bet only one or two have done a significant amount.

Your first step should be asking this in leeds.

But at the same time, call here.
http://www.uclh.nhs.uk/ourservices/ourhospitals/edh/Pages/Home.aspx

Talk with the director's office.
Tell them the situation.

this will probably be the fastest way to find the surgeon that is experiences...it is not advertised for this condition.

Finding the directors office is how I find such leads for my patients.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou. I have to say I feel disappointed that you haven't been able to give more details or a list of surgeons but this is the first time I,ve used a sevice like this and perhaps for my £40 I was expecting too much........Again thanks for your help and I will telephone UCLH tomorrow when I assume there office will be open for questions. Many thanks LIZ

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
The problem is that unless you are part of that institution, or an oral surgeon, you are not going to find it unless you pursue the routine I have laid out.

This is assuming the oral surgeon you have does not even know.

Let me know how it goes.

That is based on exam.
Possibilities are that it is still not healed, not draining, that infection has developed.

In some cases the drops do not work at all..and manual removal is again needed.

Those would be the most likely possibilities.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Please ignore the last part of the post...cut and paste error.

Let me know if you have more questions.