Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I hurt my back about a year ago in the gym, around L4. I finallz

Customer Question

I hurt my back about a year ago in the gym, around L4. I finallz had an MRI and it turned out that I have a slightly bulging disc. But the sports medicine doctor said that it shouldn't stop me going to the gym.

Anyway, I've been back in the gym for a couple of months. I deloaded and now that I have got back to the same kind of weights I was on, I've hurt my back again, around the same place, on the right hand side. It doesn't feel like a disc though - no radiating pain, and it is sore to the touch. I am not sure whether I did it deadlifting, squatting or pendlay rowing. It hurts when I bend over too, but only for the first couple of times, and when I lie prone and rest my chin on my hands (i.e. in extension) my back starts to ache markedly quicker than my wife's.

Any ideas what it could be, how to get it better and how to prevent it in future? I do want to keep doing these exercises, but if there is something clearly at fault, then I am happy to do corrective work.

In the past I have broken my right fibula and dislocated that ankle (and so have less than 10 degrees dorsiflexion in that foot), as well as having a lateral release on my right knee. Also, I tried to test my posture with a broomstick, and it turns out that I hold my head much too far forward for a neutral spine.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

Ok...

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is something for which you must take corrective action

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

Go on.

Dr. P Jyoti :

i am afraid you cannot continue normally with this

Dr. P Jyoti :

you need a fresh evaluation,

Dr. P Jyoti :

you will probably need another MRI

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

right

Dr. P Jyoti :

you must consult either an orthopedician or a neurosurgeon for this

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

so you don't have an answer?

Dr. P Jyoti :

i am worried that you may have aggravated your disc injury further with this

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

for now you must avoid all gym exercises

Dr. P Jyoti :

what you must do instead is simple back stretching exercises

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

why?

Dr. P Jyoti :

which are prescribed for disc diseases

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

such as?

Dr. P Jyoti :

you are likely to aggravate your disc problems further if yu continue with weights

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

why did my doctor say otherwise?

Dr. P Jyoti :

i will give you a link to the kind of exercises that you must do

Dr. P Jyoti :

continue with them till you have a fresh evaluation

Dr. P Jyoti :

your doctor felt that it would not aggravate, but as you see, it has

Dr. P Jyoti :

the symptoms that you describe, of a bulge and tenderness in the area of the bulge, suggest an annular tear of the disc

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

how do you know that? given that it is sore to the touch and there is no radiating pain, is it not more likely a muscle or ligament injury?

JACUSTOMER-hol3mmjz- :

You are giving an out of the box answer, I am not satisfied and would like a refund

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok, i am opting out since you are not satisfied with my answer

Dr. P Jyoti :

you would like an answer that corresponds more to your opinion

Dr. P Jyoti :

please hold on, other experts on the site will help you

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
The other expert has opted out.
Are you still seeking assistance?
Or do you just want a refund?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Refund please

OK.