Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

hi i am 7 days late on my period. i have been tryin for a baby

Customer Question

hi i am 7 days late on my period. i have been tryin for a baby for a year now so im not on any contraception. sometimes i can be a few days late but never like this. I took one pregnancy test saturday and one pregnancy test monday and both came through negative. could i still be pregnant?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Usually a pregnancy test will be positive around the time of a missed period, so I suspect that you're not pregnant. It's possible that you ovulated late, in which case pregnancy is possible. However, it's more likely that you didn't ovulate this month, which can occur due to stress, weight change or other things. Normally a period will start 2 weeks after ovulation, and if no period comes 2 weeks after ovulation, then a pregnancy test will usually be positive if ovulation occurred. I would probably see your doctor for evaluation, both to be sure if you're not pregnant and try to figure out why. An evaluation is generally recommended after one year of trying, since most fertile couples will get pregnant in one year of trying. If you didin't ovulate this month, it's possible that you haven't ovulated other months, and that may be the reason that you're not pregnant. A blood test for hcg will tell if you're pregnant, and a blood test for progesterone will tell whether you ovulated (since progesterone is low until after ovulation). Good luck!