Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Amtaking various remedies for severe constipation daily currently

Customer Question

Amtaking various remedies for severe constipation daily currently fibregel twice daily and movecol and senna at nighttime but it is having little effect. I am 85 and I am panicking a bit because I hate going repeatedly to my GP Any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the constipation as in how often you have a bowel movement? How long has this been a problem and when did you last have a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Small amount loose most mornings but feel as though the bowel is not working properly Have had the problem for a few years but it seems to have got worse in the last couple of months Colonoscopy have had some time ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--so you have you seen a gastroenterologist specifically for the problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not seen anyone apart from my GP for the problem

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I answered NO

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. There are a couple of possibilities here. One could be that you have a chronic fecal impaction in the colon--very hard stool that is stuck but does allow some liquid stool to pass around it and to be expelled but without the impaction itself moving. The other possibility is a neurologic problem with the colon itself where it isn't properly contracting (peristalsis). You need another colonoscopy and if it is an impaction, the GI can relieve it with the colonoscope. The neurologic problem would take biopsies to determine and if that's the case you may need a partial colon resection for that. Lastly, even with a previous colonoscopy, you could have a problem with colon cancer or a benign tumor of the colon that's causing the problem. I don't think there's anything more than what you've tried so far that can be done to relieve this problem