Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Is a biological valve the more favoured replacement?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

At your age, the preferred choice should be a biological valve.

Although the mechanical valves last longer but they are usually preferred for younger patients. This is because with mechanical valves one has to take blood thinners like coumadin, and with advancing age the chances of side effects of these medications are much higher.

With biological valve, you would not require blood thinners, and these days the available biological valves have a reasonably good life lasting over 10 years.

Thank you very much for visiting us.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. If you feel satisfied with the response, do not forget to leave me a Positive/(4/5) Rating. Bonus is always helpful and appreciated.

If any thing remains unanswered for you, please ask; i will be glad to assist.

You will be asked to provide a satisfaction score from 1 to 10 later on for this question. A good score from you will help save my job :)

Kindest Regards.