Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi About once a week I get knee pain on the front of my

Customer Question

About once a week I get knee pain on the front of my left knee to the righthand side of the knee cap - its very painful and lasts a bout 10 mins.

It feels like something is moving wrongly and then clicks back into place

is this a worry
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. Would you like to chat on this? Scroll down in this window if you do not see your message. Please type your message in the box below and press enter or reply to chat.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello have you seen any doctor for this?

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

no - its been happening for about two weeks

Dr. P Jyoti :

any injury? any regular sports or gym activity?

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

no - i'm quite active (running, cycling) but no injury

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok.. in that case this can be an overuse injury

Dr. P Jyoti :

regular sports and exercise like running can cause injury to the knee structures

Dr. P Jyoti :

of special concern here would be menisceal injury - injury to the meniscus

Dr. P Jyoti :

this can cause the symptoms you are having

Dr. P Jyoti :

you need to see a doctor for this now to prevent the injury from increasing

Dr. P Jyoti :

investigations like MRI may be needed

Dr. P Jyoti :

usually though such initial injuries are minor and recovery is good with conservative measures

Dr. P Jyoti :

i would recommend you stop joggin/running for now till you see your doctor

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

it doesn't feel like an over use injury - the best way to describe where the pain is, if you place your left hand on your left knee, your thumb falls naturally to the right of the knee cap and rests on the top/side of the knee bones. Its painful there...

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

What I don't get is why it only hurts once or twice a week - and is very painful for a few mins.. If it was overuse wouldn't it hurt all the time?

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, overuse does not mean that it will hurt all the time

Dr. P Jyoti :

such spasmodic pains may also be due to muscle injury

Dr. P Jyoti :

so it may be a tendon injury also - this can cause pain which lasts for a few minutes at a time

Dr. P Jyoti :

and also local tenderness

Dr. P Jyoti :

this also is a form of overuse injury - in the intitial stages pain is not constant and may be spasmodic pain only at times

Dr. P Jyoti :

best to see a doctor and have it examined

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask about meniscus injuries and about muscle tendon injuries

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-4nd1ld54- :

thanks

Dr. P Jyoti :

the area that you describe is that of the quadriceps muscle, and this could be the injury for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

i see you have given a poor service rating, may i ask why?