Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

my doctor says i have BPPV . shes given me exercises to do

Customer Question

my doctor says i have BPPV . she's given me exercises to do to aleviate the problem. (Brandt and Daroff.) however, i had another dose of spinning when i woke this morning, went away after a few minutes. although she didn't check my ears, she said i dont have an inner ear problem. is this something i'm going to have to live with now? its very debilitating, and have to move very slowly when i wake each morning. is there nothing else i can do at all? Im due to go to a fitness class this week, should I go, also due for massage for back neck and shoulders. My neck is not very good either, is that perhaps the cause of this. I really don't know whats caused this to suddenly happen. Been going on for about 2 weeks now. Any help would be great. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. Would you like to chat on this? Scroll down in this window if you do not see your message. Please type your message in the box below and press enter or reply to chat.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello have you been prescribed any medicines for this?

JACUSTOMER-tgwhwzp6- :

No none

Dr. P Jyoti :

i am an ENT specialist and deal with BPPV all the time

Dr. P Jyoti :

adaptation exercises are the best for this

JACUSTOMER-tgwhwzp6- :

its been going on for about 2 weeks now, is this something that i'm going to have to live with?

Dr. P Jyoti :

no not really

Dr. P Jyoti :

bppv fortunately is a self limiting disease

Dr. P Jyoti :

JACUSTOMER-tgwhwzp6- :

should i go back to my doctor if it goes on for much longer. also, can I go to a fitness class and have neck massage ok?

Dr. P Jyoti :

at the same time, i would have given a prescription for betahistine

Dr. P Jyoti :

this works very well along with the exercises to control the symptoms till the exercises kick in, so to say

JACUSTOMER-tgwhwzp6- :

ok, well can see how it goes. what is betahistine for?

Dr. P Jyoti :

i would suggest you go back to your doctor and ask for a prescription for betahistine or any other antivertiginous drug

JACUSTOMER-tgwhwzp6- :

ok thanks for help

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

if my answer has helped you, you need to give me a positive rating so that I get credited for my time from the JA site.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

and for now, do not go for exercise or neck massage, they can cause you harm

Dr. P Jyoti :

instead continue with the adaptation exercises and also ask your doctor for a prescription for betahistine

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care - this should help you recover from this

Dr. P Jyoti :

You must continue with your adaptation exercises regularly.

These are the best treatment for BPPV.

At the same time, betahistine will help you in controlling the symptoms - discuss this with your doctor.

Avoid going to the gym right now and also neck massage - this might cause a sudden episode of vertigo. Do not go till you feel completely all right for some days.

Take care.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a happy face on the row of faces below to give me an 'excellent/good service' rating. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credited from the site for the time and care I have taken with your answer. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.