Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Ive been feeling overly shaky, nervous, paranoid, panicky

Customer Question

I've been feeling overly shaky, nervous, paranoid, panicky for 12 hours now. I haven't been able to concentrate or pay attention properly to anything. The feeling's just starting to wear off now. At one stage my whole body couldn't stop shaking (not very violently, but it was still quite confronting). I thought it might've been the caffeine from the coffee I had, however I have had this coffee every day for the past couple of months and have never experienced these symptoms. Was it possible that I was drugged? Any other possibilities? Thanks so much.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Did this ever happen before as well?

Dr. Sohaib :

Any kind of medications you take on regular basis?

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Never happened before, and no, no medications.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Also had mild heart palpitations at times.

Dr. Sohaib :

So your predominant symptoms are contnuous shaking, palpitations, and panic right?

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Yes, that's right.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

And constant fidgeting, probably associated with the shaking and panic I suspect.

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Dr. Sohaib :

There are few important causes for these symptoms.

Dr. Sohaib :

First, this can be due to anxiety disorder (a panic attack) which can happen with anyone even if there is no history of previous such symptoms.

Dr. Sohaib :

Then, neurological disorders which present acutely such as a circulation issue to the brain may also give you continuous shaking and abnormal movements.

Dr. Sohaib :

Finally, yes, we can not rule out the possibility of any drug that might be causing these symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

I'm almost certain it wasn't the first two. This is the first time it's ever happened, I was feeling very calm and normal with nothing to possibly stress me out, and I'm quite certain there's nothing wrong with my brain.

Dr. Sohaib :

Honestly, an examination is must here. With out that, no one could give you an exact answer. May be you are right in your suspicions, but at this point, the most logical step is to go to ER right now for a comprehensive clinical examination by the doctor. An EKG is also mandatory here to rule out any cardiac arrhythmia that might be responsible for the palpitations you get.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

But the symptoms have gone now?

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Could you possibly name a few drugs that may possibly be the cause... hypothetically

Dr. Sohaib :

No symptom right now?

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Yeah, it's been 12 hours now and they've just disappeared.

Dr. Sohaib :

Then probably it is either the drugs or anxiety.

Dr. Sohaib :

Well any drug's overdose can lead to these symptoms. Alcohol, crack, cocaine, ecstacy, even cannabis.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

And these can be slipped in coffee without any sort of taste difference?

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Don't think it was alcohol, that's not how I feel when I'm drunk

Dr. Sohaib :

Can be.

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes, even with out taste.

Dr. Sohaib :

Next time, if any such thing happens again, you should go to ER and get a proper clinical assessment done.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

I didn't really notice the effects straight away though, like I felt a little more edgy but I assumed it was the caffeine, it almost got worse after a few hours... I thought the effect of drugs was obvious and almost immediate?

Dr. Sohaib :

That depends upon how much dose has been given. And also the response to drugs vary from one person to another. Some react immediately, and some may take little time. I dont think its caffeine as you have been using coffee for long with out any such effects, right? So this is something else. I can not bet over drugs as i still consider a panic attack in my differentials.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

But there's absolutely no reason for me to have a panic attack... no stress, very happy with life etc.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

And yes, I've been having coffee regularly with no such effects

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Often in higher doses

Dr. Sohaib :

One can have this in the absence of any stress or worries, and one may feel completely normal between the attacks. This is called primary anxiety disorder (where there is no cause).

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

I've dealt with incredibly high levels of stress before on regular occasions and nothing of the sort has ever happened to me. My response to stress tends to be aggravated coughing instead

Dr. Sohaib :

I honour your opinion and judgment, but this still remains a possibility. And i can not diagnose you online (there are obvious limitations), i can just guide you regarding important differentials for your symptoms, which will help you discuss these with your doctor in a much better way to get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs. May be these are the drugs, but for that your doctor has to examine you completely and decide further testing.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers you?

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Not particularly, but thanks anyway

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Hope you have a nice day

Dr. Sohaib :

You have given me negative rating.

Dr. Sohaib :

What remain unanswered for you?

Dr. Sohaib :

I will be glad to assist.

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

Well I asked you whether I was drugged, I understand you can't really answer that question properly, so it's not really you rather than the circumstances given in the situation

JACUSTOMER-61k00tnb- :

But really my question wasn't answered, so I don't feel like I'm getting value for my money

Dr. Sohaib :

No one can give you a definite diagnosis with out evaluation. Even if you see a doctor physically, he would ask for a few tests first before he could establish the exact cause. I have given you the important possibilities, and getting drugged is amongst them.

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for visiting us.

Dr. Sohaib :

Kindest Regards and Goodluck.