Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I have an appointment on Friday with a dentist for a

Customer Question

I have an appointment on Friday with a dentist for a deep clean, as he discovered a couple of weeks ago I have pretty bad periodontal disease. However, my two front bottom teeth have become progressively looser the past couple of days and I am adamant that it is purely the tartar build up at the backs of them that is keeping them from falling out completely. I am completely devastated as I do not want them to fall out obviously and wouldn't be able to afford implants as I'm a student.

Can my dentist do anything on Friday to prevent these two teeth from falling out?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--when you saw the dentist before he didn't notice that the teeth were loose? Exactly how loose are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They weren't very loose when I visited him, I did mention there was a slight looseness to them but he was more concerned with booking a deep clean ASAP

They aren't so loose that they can be pushed over but they definitely have a slight wobbliness to them that wasn't there when I saw the dentist last.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--I don't think you have to worry that your teeth are on the verge of falling out. The deep cleaning of course is essential but you may also need both antibiotic application to the gums as well as oral antibiotics. I don't think you'll need to see a periodontist/orthodontist after that but of course if your dentist thinks the gum disease is too extensive to allow repair after the cleaning and antibiotics, he may suggest a referral to a periodontist.