Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I first experienced knee pain after getting up after kneeling

Customer Question

I first experienced knee pain after getting up after kneeling down in the garden in january. .The pain subsides after a nights rest or maybe 24 hours. It does return if when walking i twist awkwardly I have had it xrayed but nothing showed up. I have been advised to continue using FENBID GEL. The pain is sited on the inside left knee.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--any clicking in the knee or swelling? Have you had any physical therapy for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sometimes i used to get clicking. i have had no physical therapy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--you need to get an MRI of the knee since x-rays can only evaluate bones and not ligaments or cartilage or soft tissues. It sounds as though you may have a torn meniscus inside the knee--the cartilage that cushions the area between the femur and the tibia. If that's the case, I would first have you see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized program of physical therapy. If that didn't resolve the problem, you'd knee arthroscopic surgery by an orthopedic surgeon to remove the torn part of the meniscus