Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Hello, Approx 3 days ago a heavy weight pulled the finger

Customer Question

Approx 3 days ago a heavy weight pulled the finger next to the little finger on my right hand back which really hurt at the time. Today I am in absolute agony: the pain is affecting my other fingers & at times going up my arm,I have woken the last couple of mornings with a numb hand + fingers. Pain really bad, would appreciate your comments.

Many Thanks,

Tracy.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 4 years ago.

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is Dr. C. and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

Dr. C. :

It would be a really good idea for you to seek medical care on an emergency basis today.

Dr. C. :

If the fingers are going numb, this means that there is some nerve damage.

Dr. C. :

It's very important that you go for evaluation to prevent any long term damage that may decrease the functional use of your hand and fingers.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if I can clarify anything or provide more details. But I am afraid that it is an issue that requires in person examination and evaluation.

Dr. C. :

I'm sorry that's the case. I wish it was something that could be dealt with at home.

JACUSTOMER-fe2x6sr8- :

Many Thanks,

JACUSTOMER-fe2x6sr8- :

Is this something i can leave untill tomorrow or should i go to A+E tonight ?

Dr. C. :

I would go tonight because of the risk to the use of your fingers and hand. That is just such an important part of the body that I would hate for you to have less that the best possible outcome in case there is some nerve damage.

JACUSTOMER-fe2x6sr8- :

Many Thanks

Dr. C. :

It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to use of your hands and fingers. Numbness means the nerves are being impacted.

Dr. C. :

Ok, good luck. I hope it turns out not to be serious and just some tissue swelling.

Dr. C. :

Thanks for using the site.

Dr. C. :

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks again.

JACUSTOMER-fe2x6sr8- :

what would the treatment be

Dr. C. :

If it was just swelling, it would be ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours, ice and elevation.