Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi i have been taking my blood pressure every hour about three

Customer Question

Hi i have been taking my blood pressure every hour about three times for the last 3-4 weeks walking around with the cuff on i think it was too tight. I now have had a pain in the left arm for a few days, but have noticed it is worse today as i have taken it loads of times and walking around with the cuff on whilst doing housework. I have ache in top left It and going, down to hand, pins and needles. The ache is going up to my neck and jaw and ear.
It is also hot and aching under my arm and hot. Do you think i have caused a blood clot or does it just cause the muscle to ache
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
Interesting question.
No we do not leave cuffs on for this reason.
Yes it can back up the venous circulation.
It could cause gangrene if you left it on inflated..but that would be very painful

Do not use the cuff
Have this examined.
Blood clot is possible.
They could do an ultrasound of your arm in the ER today.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please don't forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could this be just a aching muscle through keep taking it am i worrying a bit. Also i am worried but my heart is only doing about 60 beats per minute

It would not have affected your heart, and 60 is still normal, however, they can do an EKG
Aching muscle would not usually causes pins and needles lower in the arm.

Better an exam, to be safe.

Please don't forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can it cause a ache where the muscle is through taking blood pressure to much. I think 60 is low when sitting worried. Sometimes my heart rate goes right up last week it was beating fast for hours doctor said anxiety can this happen for hours. Could this wait till morning

I have answered these questions I think.
I don't think it should wait.
Anxiety can do it but you would have a fast heart rate with anxiety.

Yes you can have a muscle ache and anxiety, but I can not examine you.

Please don't forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you never said though could it just be aching muscle through blood pressure being taken to much. If there was a blood clot is there something to look for. I meant can anxiety cause heart rate to go on go for hours although youn do not feel anxious. But what i was refering to was my heart rate now is 60 even though i am worried should i be worried about this.

Would a blood test to look for blood clots be reliable. I am a big person so ultrasound is probably no good. I am sittinb writing in computer so could this be agrivating this

Actually I think I tried to address this as well...just an achy muscle will not cause pins and needles lower down the arm.
And I said that anxiety would make a fast heart rate, not a slow one.
If 60 is abnormal for you then you should have an EKG.
Ultrasound is still more reliable than a blood test.

Blood test is so so, even with exam.

A blood clot would typically case swelling from the blood clot on down, but not always.

There is no way I am going to tell you NOT to go to the ER or urgent care at this point.

Not with everything you have related.

Good luck
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but coould it cause a ache in muscle pins and needles could ne through me sitting on computer. sureally if nit was a blood clot it would be fast heart rate. I keep sitting with my shoulder up and this could be causing ache the way i am sitting. my posture is not good. I also have to do home study for sleep apnoea tonight so i have to be home. I live in UK and our hospitals are not good like yours they keep you waiting hours. I once was there and a man was sent upstairs in A&E and had to wait for a bed as he was going to have a heart attack. that is the nhs here. I dont think you can ultrasound fat arms so they say here. I also dont want x ray with dye used as i am allergic. Pins and needles eased but it is still hot on shoulder. can this cause ache in muscle through using same arm all time.

Yes it could cause the whole arm to ache if you did it enough.

That is possible.
I can not rule out other problems however.

Please don't forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can i just ask you have i given you the impression i have had in on permanently for 34 weeks. I mean putting it on and off about every hour fothat length of time but having it on for about ten to fifteen minutes at a time some times through the night and for about twenty mins

Very excessive and this could cause all of the problems in the arm that we have discussed.

So, it is up to you, but an exact diagnosis can not be made without an exam.

Please remember we are only paid PER positive rating by ja.

I enjoy helping you in any case.....

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sureally this could wait till morning. Is there anything to look for that will tell me if it is urgent or not.

You can not tell for certain without exam.
Whether you wait or not it up to you.

It is not the purpose of the site to replace a doctors exam.
We can not do that.

Swelling makes the situation more definitely urgent.
Numbness that persists does.
Change in color of the skin.
Increasing pain.

Please do a positive rating.
Come back if needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanksn for your help. I hope you dont mind me saying from your picture you are quite a handsomje man. If that is you i hope it is genuine and not a site that just uses anyone. And i bet from my paymant you dont get much.What part of America r u from

All of our credentials are verified by an objective third party.
I am a double board certified physician in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in sub specialties as well as functional medicine and classical homeopathy.

I grew up in the midwest.

Good luck again.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Come back anytime.
Find me by request as needed.