Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

Is it true that hsv 1 is the AIDS virus?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

No. HSV 1 is herpes simplex virus most commonly responsible for cold sores.

Where as the virus responsible for ADS is HIV.

Hope this was helpful :)

Please let me know if you need further clarification. IF satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please)

Warm Regards
Dr MASK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But Doctor Thomas said the hsv1 is the AIDS virus.

I had viral infection in january, I was vomiting and had diarrhea. Followed by pin and needles sensation all over my body, followed by burning .sensation . I was given lyrica tablet with armotriptyline. I had my white and red blood cells checked but they found nothing. I had sex last year December, I used condom but it split.

Ever since I had sex in December, I have been feeling all these symptoms, my neurology said it was my nerves playing up, but I believe I had contacted hiv infection. I did hiv test last week, it was negative, this mark my three calendar month. My feet tingles me all the time,including my hands.

I feel like a parasite is moving there, they use hiv 1 and 2 / p24 antigen screen test which allows earlier detection of hiv infection, which came out negative. What should I do now? I still feel unwell. They did test for hsv 1 and 2 for me,but hsv 1 came out positive.

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up :)

I am sure either you misunderstood Dr Thomas in regards to HSV 1 or he did a mistype in his answer.

Either ways please be assured that HSV 1 is a separate virus and is not responsible for AIDS. HIV is the virus for AIDS.

If the test was done after three months and it turned negative then the chances for you having HIV are very highly likely to be none.

The neurological symptoms may have a different cause and are not very typical for HIV symptoms.

HSV 1 can be positive in almost every one since almost every one has had cold sores.

So please do not worry and follow your neurologist's advise regarding the neurological symptoms.

Hope this helped :)

If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please)

Warm Regards
Dr MASK
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up :)

That is called paresthesias i.e. abnormal sensation with out a visible cause for them. And this comes under the neurologist too.

However if you still want to be sure and confident that this is not parasites and just abnormal sensations ( a neurological symptom) then go for CBC (complete blood count) and if the eosinophils are not raised then you do not have a parasite issue.

Hope this explained :)

Warm Regards
Dr MASK