Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam a behavior therapyst from Saudi Arabia.

Customer Question

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam a behavior therapyst from Saudi Arabia. Iam working w a 7years old boy, Asberger with ADHD. gifted very hi function. he started using risparidal 1mg. to control his stereo tep. movment. he is more functional now. iam trying to apply some performance tests that require alerteness. he has bn using this med for more than three weeks.
My question is what is the best time to test him, how many hours after the meds adminestration. thanks. thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Could you clarify the situation?
Was he having the symptoms that you describe, including the drowsiness, before starting the medicine?
Are you trying to perform testing when the effect of the Risperdal is at its peak, when he would be receiving maximal benefit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i think that iam not aware of his meds peak. he never had drowseness bfore

I can help you with knowing when the drug peaks, but that will still leave open the question of when to test.

The drug itself is absorbed relatively quickly reaching a peak in about an hour. The primary metabolite also is clinically effective and reaches a peak beginning in about 3 hours, although it can take much longer in persons that are slow to metabolize the drug. Therefore, testing about 1-3 hours after taking the drug will result in the maximal benefit from the drug.

However, if the drowsiness is coming from the drug, testing at 1-3 hours will also mean that there is the greatest risk of drowsiness from the drug. In that situation, it would probably be better to wait until around 6-8 hours after taking the drug, which will still allow for benefit from taking the drug while avoiding the maximal amount of drowsiness.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.