Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

my mum is 73 and has been poorly for approx 3 weeks. it started

Customer Question

my mum is 73 and has been poorly for approx 3 weeks. it started with servere pain in her back, flu and now she has lost her appetict. she has not eaten properly for two weeks and even drink tea is causing her to be sick. she has lost hust over a stone in weight and said she feels dredfull. the doctor last week said she had an infection and has given her antibiottics but she is not improving. can you advise what i should do
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it sounds like the antibiotics is not adequately treating her infection.

she could have an infection in her kidneys called a pylonephritis which is a very serious infection which can cause back pain and can spread infection into the blood (called sepsis).

she needs to go to the A&E as soon as possible and be evaluated and possibly admitted into the hospital for stronger IV antibiotics and IV fluids

at her age, she might not make a fever to show she has an infection.

infection can be very sneaky and silent in older patients and should not be under-estimated or overlooked.

it is best to bring her to the hospital or A&E department as soon as possible for more blood and urine testing and possible hospital admission for stronger therapy.

let me know if you have other questions.