DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

is a GP qualified to say that a person who has been examined

Customer Question

is a GP qualified to say that a person who has been examined by a Neuropsychologist is wrong. The person in question has IQ of 80 front lobe brain damage and change of personality. He is aggressive, has bad memory, and cannot reason.

Thank-you
Anne
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from ja
Can you give me more details.

What is the exact situation and what is your question
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my husband was involved in a road accident he has front lobe brain damage. The neuropsychologist made a report saying he had personality change severe aggression and bad memory also an inability to process information quickly enough to make an informed decision. He now only has an IQ of 80.

He is involved in litigation with me and even though I provided a full report of his brain damage his solicitor has chosen to believe he is normal. He has charged him thousands of pounds in fees after ignoring the report I gave him. Instead he wrote to his family Doctor who knows nothing about the report and asked if he was mentally competent. His Doctor said he was. He can live his everyday life if he is not troubled but he cannot reason and becomes aggressive when I try to talk to him.

I am told that a GP is not qualified to override a finding of a mental health expert. Is this true.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
it is not clear that anyone has said your husband is incompetent to make decisions, not even then psychologist...or has he/she?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband received £500.000 for his brain injury.

comments in report

performance very impaired on key search test which is a measure of strategy formation and planning.

performed within the impaired range on the stroop test which is a measure of response suppression.

evidence of significant underfunctioning specifically on measures of perceptual organisation and speed of information processing.

very slow in performing all memory tests.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
From a medical statement, nothing in the report says he can't make decisions or that he is incompetent.

An MD is likely to be listened to as the primary care doctor, with this report being adjunctive information from a psychologist, non MD.

Your husband needs to be assessed by a psychiatrist specifically for competency and the ability to make decisions.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.