Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi, for past 8 weeks my wife has been sick, sore throat, fevers,

Customer Question

Hi, for past 8 weeks my wife has been sick, sore throat, fevers, sinus etc. she has had several anti biotics and now seen ENT doctor and on specific anti biotics and is feeling better. I have been fit and healthy during all this until this morning I woke up to nose dripping into back of throat and sore throat. I am leaving the UK tonight to go to Singapore. I had some left over augumentin 625mg anti biotics from when I had knee infection an was on them for weeks. I took 1 this morning, starting to feel better. I only have 2 pills left so clearly not a course. Should I take the other 2 or not. Is it bad to take 1 or 2 anti biotics can you get worse infections etc? Ie mrsa
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

It is always better to complete atleast a 3 day course of any antibiotic for a sore throat, however, most sore throats are viral in nature and augmentin and such antibiotics usually take around 36 hours to manifest their action against the bacteria, taking the other 2 antibiotics might help you and it might not, in case this is viral in nature, it will take 3 or 4 days to settle. It is a general notion that taking an incomplete course of antibiotics confers resistence, but that is the case when one does this on a regular basis and in very contagious environments like in a hospital setting.
No, you will mot get MRSA if you take an incomplete course of Augmentin for a sore throat, however, you might not gain any benefit from taking just 3 pills of augmentin either.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service if satisfied, if you have more queries, reply back and do not rate, yet.
Best.