Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My grandson has an ear ache how and he is crying, please suggest

Customer Question

My grandson has an ear ache how and he is crying, please suggest me what to do
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The best course of action will be to take him to an Urgent Care or an Emergency because severe ear aches are due to pressure behind the ear drum especially because of collection of fluid or pus in acute otitis media (middle ear infections), these infections can follow upper respiratory tract infections or cold and flu.
The pain subsides once the collection is drained.
For pain relief at this point give him some paracetamol (acetaminophen) or Ibuprofen (Brufen, Motrin, Advil etc.) that will give him relief from the pain. Tell him to lie down facing the affected ear up and normal ear down (lateral position). That will relieve the pressure transiently.
Give him a decongestant to relieve the congestion like Pediacare or Tylenol and cold.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service if satisfied.
If you need more information, reply back and do not rate this answer yet.
Best.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, for your excellent service.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome. :)
Please do leave a positive rating.