Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

a nasty cut

Customer Question

a nasty cut
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Where is the laceration or the cut?
Q. What caused it? Sharp instrument or a blunt trauma?
Q. Are you diabetic or are you on any medication previously?
Q. What have you done so far for it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The cut is on the knee. I fell on the part tarmac and mud path. the graze is about 3-4 cm long and was full of mud and grit. I cleaned the graze with TCP and antiseptic wipes and cleaned most of the dirt out, but was not able to clean all the dirt out. 24 hours later the graze is sore and the skin around the graze is red, warm and slightly swollen. what should I do?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

Since this is just a graze, there might not be any need to get it sutured and even if it is a deep graze that needs to be sutured at some points now is not the best time to get it sutured since its been more than 24 hours and it was a dirty wound. Dirty wounds are usually left unsutured to heal by secondary intention rather than by primary repair.
The area around it is red and inflammed because of reaction of the skin to the injury and the dirt. The area might be swollen because of underlying injury to the knee as well.
If there is bruising, excessive tenderness on the knee joint and if the swelling is around the knee joint and hurts on extension or flexion of the joint then an x ray of the knee is in order to rule out any fractures of the knee and the patella.
But if the swelling is just felt around the graze (abrasion/road rash) and is superficial then this is due to the reaction of the skin to the contamination and the injury.
In the later case, you need to keep the wound clean by using tepid water soaks and antiseptic solutions for the first 48 hours and then apply bacitracin or neosporin ointment on it thrice a day.
Keep the knee elevated while lying down and sitting.
I suggest that you start on Tylenol 2 tablets thrice or four time a day for the pain as well.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service if satisfied.
Reply back if you need more information.
Best.