DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My husband has had a CT scan when we were in Australia recently.

Customer Question

My husband has had a CT scan when we were in Australia recently. He is a late on-set asthmatic and is 47 years old. The scan showed long term asthma and bronchitis and significant bronchial wall thickening within both upper and lower lobes and also within the right middle lobe., not associated with andy significant bronchial dilatation. What treatmen would you recommend long term and will his lungs ever recover. He is currently on a six week course of steroids and antibiotics. Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry your husband has been suffering from asthma for such a long time.

long term asthma and bronchitis can definitely cause thickening of the airways and lung tissue.

unfortunately we continue to treat asthma with the same medications which have been used for years including steroids to help decrease inflammation in the lungs and brochial dilators and nebulizers of the same medications. antibiotics are used to help treat infections.

your husband might want to look into clinical trials or research trials in the UK to see if there are any new research studies they are trying for newer treatments for chronic asthma. he might be a candidate for one of these research trials.

lung tissue has a hard time healing from chronic inflammation which tends to turn the lung tissue into scar tissue in the lungs which can definitely make breathing more difficult.

let me know if you have other questions.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

Hello from JA

I have a much different opinion for you...clinical trials are not a first line approach here.

You have not mentioned

Pulmonary rehabilitation which is doctor can order.

Allergy testing and the desensitization to environamental components stimulating his asthma. Indoor air quality treatment. Working with an allergist immunologist. Working with a pulmonologist. You have not stated that he is impaired to the point of being a clinical trial candidate...and preventing this from progressing would be more important currently.

There are in addition to clinical trial medications, other therapies and forefront considerations from medicine....I can go into these in more detail

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please don't forget a positive rating.