Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have an on-going problem and no one seems to be giving me

Customer Question

Hi, I have an on-going problem and no one seems to be giving me any answers at all! The most I have been told is that it is a problem with my bowel. I have bouts of very severe pain radiating from the lower left side of my abdomen around to my back - this pain always seems to be caused after I am on my feet doing simple house hold tasks and my stomach swells up very badly. This is causing me to be bed-bound, which isn't ideal as I have an extremely active 1 year old. My bowel habits are so hard to keep track of - some days I barely make it to the toilet with diarrhea like stools with a substantial amount of mucous up to 5 times in one day and other times I find it extremely difficult to have a bowel movement. I have also had unexplained weight-loss and issues with my blood count, most noticeably over the past two years. The whole thing leaves me with no energy and is beginning to affect my mood. No doctor has ever told me "it could be this", "try and do this" although I was given a course of IBS medication which didn't manage my pain at all. I feel like I am not being listened to and I just would like not to be so confused and worried.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

These symptoms are likely suggestive of the inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's disease or Ulcerative colitis.

Mysticdoc :

The diagnosis can be established by the Colonoscopy--an endoscopic camera to inspect your colon and biopsy the mucosa.

Mysticdoc :

A gastroenterologist should be consulted to arrange for the colonoscopy.

Mysticdoc :

The treatment is different with steroid and immunosuppressive agents.

Mysticdoc :

Ofcourse, possible bacterial and parasitic infection also need to be considered.

Mysticdoc :

We also recommend a course of dual antibiotics like metronidazole and ciprofloxacin for 10 days.

Mysticdoc :

Diet plays an important role.

Mysticdoc :

A moderate fiber and low fat diet is preferred.

Mysticdoc :

Avoidance of nuts, cabbages, sprouts, seeds is preferred for now.

JACUSTOMER-ps3baz0f- :

I have been told that I need the camera to look into my bowel, but nothing seems to be happening. I had previously been sent to gastro because of my weight loss and had a full abdonimal scan, which came back clear.

Mysticdoc :

Caffeine, alcohol, sweetened beverages also should be avoided.

Mysticdoc :

Dairy allergy is common and this should be also eliminated from the diet.

Mysticdoc :

Abdominal scan is not appropriate to establish inflammatory bowel disease diagnosis.

Mysticdoc :

Camera study is the best as biopsy is required for the diagnosis.

Mysticdoc :

Weight loss, and your symptoms do point to that direction.

JACUSTOMER-ps3baz0f- :

I have also had my thyroid tests completed which came back normal and cealiac screening which was also normal. Its very confusing. As I doctor is it unfair for a patient during an appointment just to ask - give me a list of what could be wrong? Also, if it was some type of bowel disease, it doesn't go away? Its about managing the symptoms with medication, am I right in saying that?

Mysticdoc :

yes this is unfair as there is no personal touch and sympathy by that statement.

Mysticdoc :

A patient should be given due sympathy as in medicine cure is not the only motto, but laso patient atisfaction.

Mysticdoc :

Based on your symptoms, you do need a colonoscopy and also a upper GI endoscopy id possible.

Mysticdoc :

The treatment if inflammatory bowel disease is both geared towards treating your symptoms and also curing the disease over time.

Mysticdoc :

Celiac disease blood test may not be that sensitive if you are already following a low gluten or gluten free diet.

Mysticdoc :

Please refrain from rating bad or poor, instead press the reply button for more questions.

This conversation is open till you are fully satisfied to rate good or excellent.