Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello, i would be very grateful if you could help with advice! I

Customer Question

Hello, i would be very grateful if you could help with advice!

I had an anaphylactic shock 6 days ago, was treated i A&E with 200mg prednisolone, piriton and another type of antihistamine and small dose of adrenaline, no intravenous.
I was realised home next day and stayed on 30mg of prednisolone for another 4 days and piriton.

Once i stopped taking everything I started feeling worse, I have constant headache, feeling dizzy and faintly, wobbly legs, can walk only supported, shaking all over, generally extremely week and staying in bed. My blood pressure is 148/105 so can hear heart beating, otherwise is normal.

I had this this scare occurring before 4 times, no allergen was ever identified but i know when i am extremely tired and stressed the reaction starts with typical symptoms. Before I would recover within 24 hours.

Is it possible that delayed treatment caused damage, it took doctor 45 min to inject everything while i was still laying on a bed in A&E.

I went to doctor, my GP but they do not know why i feel like that.

i would really appreciate if you can tell me more about those symptoms, are they normal and common, how long they might last or will they never disappear?!

Thank you very much in advance!

Adriana B
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Anaphylactic reaction happens when body reacts against unknown substance.

Mysticdoc :

There is overwhelming production of the inflammatory substances causing the symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

45 minute delay should not cause any damage as you were treated adequately with steroids and anti histamines.

Mysticdoc :

Your current symptoms however may be related to the abrupt stopping of the high dose steroids.

Mysticdoc :

The high blood pressure is a side effect of the prednisone.

Mysticdoc :

Quick stopping of prednisone can result in body's inability to produce adequate steroid hormone for daily activities.

Mysticdoc :

Hence, gradual tapering of prednisone over 10-14 days preferred.

Mysticdoc :

Also, you need to see an allergy specialist for skin and blood allergy testing to localize the problem.

Mysticdoc :

The reaction may return again whenever you are exposed to the allergen.

Mysticdoc :

To prevent that, it is important t find out the lit of items you are allergic.

JACUSTOMER-szbz7iw1- :

do i need to go back to steroids or it will eventually get better

Mysticdoc :

I think it is better to go back to the steroid as these symptoms may worsen without steroid.

JACUSTOMER-szbz7iw1- :

i will see my doctor again but how long i should take them , he said that taking for only 4 days is not enough for body to uset to steroids

JACUSTOMER-szbz7iw1- :

how long you advise taking steroids, and do i wean off them gradually, please?

Mysticdoc :

14 days taper

Mysticdoc :

as I mentioned above

Mysticdoc :

Prednisone dose should be reduced gradually by 5 mg every 2 days

JACUSTOMER-szbz7iw1- :

thank you very much for all your advice, kind regards

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/