Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

A friend of mine was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2

Customer Question

A friend of mine was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 weeks ago. He is home now awaiting a biopsy, with the possibility of being offered chemo and/or radiotherapy. My question is: why do his legs keep collapsing under him without warning so that he crashes to the floor. He can get himself up, but sometimes has to get about on hands and knees.
His legs were begining to occasionally go before the diagnosis. What is causing this?
Could the cancer have spread to his spine?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

I am sorry about your friend's diagnosis.

cancer spread to the spine causing cord compression is serious and can cause weakness and numbness in the legs and sometimes loss of stool control (stool incontinence) and loss of ability to urinate (urinary retention).

your friend should get an MRI scan of his spine as soon as possible to see if the pancreatic cancer has spread to the spine and is causing spinal cord compression causing weakness in his legs. his doctor can order this or he can go to the ER right away and get a CT scan or MRI scan of his spine to look for metastatic spread to the bones.

let me know if you have any other questions.