Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi there i am very confused and scared i am getting married

Customer Question

Hi there i am very confused and scared i am getting married soon and in my culture we need to be virgins. My story is a long but unfortunate one I am 37 now and never had intercourse. But 7 yrs ago I met a guy and we fooled around and during that I can't really explain how he was rubbing his penis around my vagina and came in that area. By the unfortunate luck I got pregnant I was scared and surprised i was still a virgin I went to the doctor she said i was 1 and 1/2 months pregnant I had a abortion. she told me that she used a thin metal to abort me and ofcourse my hymen is not there. Ever since I never fooled around with anyone it freaked me out and I am sure and so sure that I never had intercourse. Now I will get married do I need a reconstruction or can I just bleed if I will have intercourse for the first time. I went to a gyno today he said he will check me after I finish my period I am scared. I don't want to go through pain and if I will just bleed as it will be my first time something goes in than do i need the procedure. What should I do nd is t true that virgins get pregnant? Also when I mastrubate I never use anything or my fingers I never touched that area....
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA

Thanks for the question.

Virgins do not get pregnant.

There has to be some semen that got into the vaginal canal at the time.

The misconception here is that women who hve perforated they hymen are not virgins.

Many women do not have a hymen in tact by the time they marry, but they never had intercouse.

Since this is a fact, I do not see the necessity of having a procedure.

The hymen can be lacerated by injury, disease, strenous exercise, mastubation, and other factor....none of these mean that someone is not a virgin.

So, in other words, a hymen that is not intact is not evidence for or against virginity.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will i still bleed for the first time I have intercourse can my husband tell if I am a virgin or not. Or is it enough just the first time of intercourse. Please help
You really should not have bleeding but you might have a little, and in fact even with a hypen there might be little to not bleeding.

I understand that this is confusing, but if you read my post above again, it should help you realize that there is no way your husband can tell if you are a virgin or not.

Many virgins do not have a hymen, for the reasons I have stated.

So, no way your husband can ever say if you are a virgin or not.

If your husband looks for an intact hymen and that is his cirteria, you are not going to have one without a procedure.
However, not having a hymen does not mean you are not a virgin.