Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Dear Doc, I am a 63 yo man and today, I have low BP 92/59

Customer Question

Dear Doc, I am a 63 yo man and today, I have low BP 92/59 pulse 79 (usually 115/75 70) , mild headache, mild skin itch (arms, legs, head), mild nausea, mild fatigue, constipation, green stools (I ate a lot of green choy). Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

Low blood pressure (hypotension) refers to not enough intravascular pressure to maintain the oxygen requirements of the body's tissues. Though this is present often in shock, this sign may also result from cardiovascular, respiratory, neurologic, and metabolic disorders. Hence a thorough evaluation is required by your doctor to know the causative factor which could be due to dehydration or allergic reaction. Hence please go to the emergency room to know the cause, to do the necessary investigations, and also for immediate treatment if required and indicated.

Take care. Please be careful about the next step you take in rating the answer. Please rate the answer as GOOD/EXCELLENT SERVICE(click FOUR/FIVE STARS) if I have answered the question to your satisfaction. However if for any reason you are not satisfied with the answer, never rate the answer as 1 or 2 STARS ("Helped a little" or "I expected more"), since this will not be beneficial for both of us, instead use the Reply to Expert button and let me know the reason for your dissatisfaction so that I can further answer the question to your satisfaction.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Doc, Thank you for your reply, however, this doesn't help me for two reasons: 1. If I could afford to go to the ER, I would have done. 2. I already know about low blood pressure but you have not considered my other symptoms except for the low blood pressure.

Thanks for your reply.

Basically your other symptoms can also be due to the same causative factor that is causing the low blood pressure. For example dehydration and hypovolemia can cause pale, cool, clammy skin, thirst, weakness, decreased urination, confusion, disorientation, restlessness, and anxiety. Another causative factor such as allergic reactions can cause symptoms such as anxiety, restlessness, a feeling of doom, intense itching (especially of the hands and feet), a pounding headache, weakness, sweating, nasal congestion, coughing, difficulty breathing, nausea, abdominal cramps, increased heart rate, and change or loss of voice due to laryngeal edema.

Stool color is not significant most of the times. All shades of green, including dark green colored stools is normal, and does not indicate any disease.

Please read this web links for more details:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gettingdiagnosed/a/green_stools.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/AN00772

Take care.