Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

treated for 4days on antibiotics for pnemonia now taken off

Customer Question

treated for 4days on antibiotics for pnemonia now taken off everything its not working but why have i been taken off fluids but still on oxygen mask
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Which antibiotic was prescribed?
Are you accepting meals?
Please list your symptoms.
How long back you have been diagnosed with pneumonia?
Are you suffering from any other medical condition ?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

diagnosed o monday had a stroke year ago loss use of legs 6months ago not sure what antibiotics it was but on salin and glucose all through a drip my concern is why would you be taken off fluids

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

Well, Pneumonia is an infection in one or both of your lungs, it is not a single disease and can have more than 30 different causes.
Pneumonia tends to be more serious for infants and young children, older adults (people 65 years or older), people who have other chronic health problems, and people who have weak immune systems as a result of diseases or other factors.
Most patients will improve within two weeks of start of treatment. Elderly or debilitated patients may need longer treatment.

Ideally, Severe pneumonia patients may require hospitalization to provide fluids, intravenous (IV) antibiotics and other medications, breathing treatments, oxygen, or even ventilator support for quick recovery.

Your doctor may have taken decision to stop fluid, if he felt that your condition is getting better. Also he can go for oral antibiotics, based upon your condition.
Make sure that you are drinking plenty of fluid and you may go for a mineral supplement with magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Usually patient needs 2 or 3 days of intravenous antibiotics, so doctor has now stopped fluids.

Oxygen mask is necessary because, to resolve breathing problems, It is necessary to treat pneumonia patients. At your age, oxygen mask can be necessary for quick recovery.

Please follow the guidelines, as suggested by your doctor.
I wish for your good health.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry i didnt explain properly everything was taken away because nothing else can be done is stopping the fluids helping to die quicker

Derek, I am so sorry for your problems.

Are you saying that you are experiencing severe symptoms of pneumonia and your doctor has stopped treatment?
Are you still in hospital?
What are your present symptoms?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes to all questions only want to know if its best to go back on fluids or not if you cant answer just tell me with your medical experiece why would a person be taken off when not recovering

Derek, i understand your medical condition. I am so sorry for your problems.

Ideally, i would suggest that a person at your age should be given intravenous fluids, along with oxygen for quick recovery.
Pneumonia is a serious lung infection and at old age, this should be treated with antibiotics.
If i was your doctor, then i would not stop fluids. You need intravenous fluids.

If the pneumonia is very severe, or caused by an aggressive type of bacterium (such as legionella) you may need to be moved to an intensive care unit in the hospital.
I would suggest you to discuss this issue with your doctor and they can re-start fluids.