Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hello. For the last 3 months I have been experiencing discomfort

Customer Question

Hello.
For the last 3 months I have been experiencing discomfort on my lower left back, and along my left side of my stomach, just above my hips. It only seems to hurt of I bend over. I thought it was a muscle strain but it doesn't seem to be healing. I have noticed that sometimes I get a tingling sensation over my left area, above my waist. What may this be? I am worried it is a sign of prostrate cancer.
I am 6 feet tall, male and weigh 190lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

Dear XXXXX, honestly this does not seem to be related to your prostate.

The most likely cause for this appears to be a "Pinched Nerve" in the spine.

It is a condition characterized by abnormal excessive pressure over the nerves as they exit the spine.

Age related vertebral degeneration or disc prolapse is the usual underlying problem for this.

And the fact that it is related to posture also reinforce the diagnosis of pinched nerve rather than a prostate issue.

Your next step is to see your doctor, discuss the details I have mentioned and have an MRI of the spine done which is the most useful test to diagnose this problem with certainty.

The treatment is usually in the form of physiotherapy, pain medications, massage, and nerve block injections for pain control.

In severe case, surgery is the option (but it is rarely required).

Until you see your doctor, avoid bearing heavy weight.

Keep your back straight (avoid abnormal postures).

And can use Paracetamol or Ibuprofen for pain control (if required).

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.