Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hello- I have a Blood test result that is for my wife (.76year

Customer Question

Hello- I have a Blood test result that is for my wife (.76year old). we would like you to clarify . Please as we do not understand. our( J.P DOCTOR) did not say if ther was anything not right. tests .liver -above range 17 umoi/l (17.0). serum cholestol level--
8.0mmoi/l outside reference range. serum triglyceride levelsxe2q9-above range 2.4mmoi/l -
(2.3)outside reference range. hdl&ldl outside referencerange. Potassium outside reference
range on three acounts. ther are eight statements of outside of range on the report.
My WIFE is very tired and has her tempeture go up so much that she swets as if she has been running you can see that she is wet. has to lay douwn for awile. sorry if this is not clear . Mr h cooper
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Can you tell me her potassium levels?

Q. Can you tell me if she in on any medication?

Q. Any previously diagnosed medical conditions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI- POTASSIUM XE2PZ 5.3MMOI/L (3.5-5.0) OUTSIDEREF. RANGE.

medication---clonidine 25 mcg 3.at8am-3 bedtime.

quinine 200mg -1. bedtime

ranitidine 150mg--1 .at8am--1at bedtime

naproxen 250 mg 1. afterfood ,3 a day.

co.cdamol 30/50caps only if required, rheumatology pain.

that is all. mrH.

Ps a glass or 2 of wine aday .

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the details.
Most of the blood tests you mentioned are related to her cholesterol levels and they are not at the moment the focus of concern however, her potassium levels are above the normal limit and potassium is a very crucial electrolyte that governs many systems of the body and high levels can lead to many complications.
The common causes of high potassium levels is dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, increased intake of potassium, kidney problems and medication.
If she is not dehydrated then kidneys and her current medication should be evaluated.
Naproxen can cause acute tubular necrosis of the kidneys especially in the setting of dehyradration and can cause potassium excretion to cease thereby increasing levels in the body, quinine is also associated with kidney failure.
Sometimes, a high potassium reading can be a lab error as well due to erroneous sampling tehnique in which case it should be repeated to erase all doubts but you mentioned having these done on 3 occassions.
I suggest that you take this up with your physician so that s/he can perform a comprehensive work up.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service, if satisfied.
If you have more concerns and queries, reply back without rating the answer.
Best.