Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

5 days ago my 16 year old son complained that he suffered an

Customer Question

5 days ago my 16 year old son complained that he suffered an episode of rapid heartbeat which lasted about 20 seconds. He said head a pain in his chest and tingling in his left hand. The out of hours GP referred us to be assessed at hospital. We were there for 4 hours and my son had an ECG and regular checks of sats, blood pressure, pulse etc. Nothing abnormal found. Advised to go to GP if happened again. 2 days later it happened again whilst at school. Went to GP another ECG and observations all normal. GP has arranged for monitor to be worn for a week to check things out. Over the weekend my son had a stabbing pain and tingling in hid left arm but no rapid heartbeats. Hospital again found nothing abnormal and said to wait for heart monitor trace thing from GP. Dr at hospital said it may or may not happen again and mostly nothing to worry about. Could you advice please.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Whether this is or not something to worry about can only be established once a 24 hour holter monitor has been worn and your son has an episode that the monitor can record for the physicians to analyze. Heart arrythmias can be a problem but in your sons age usually SVTs and tachycardias are the cause of such symptoms. These are not very serious events and even caffiene in large amounts can cause the heart beat to be rapid with tingling in the body.
Gastritis, reflux and stomach pain can also mimic heart events and can present in the same manner as an adverse cardiac event.
Since, the EKGs and serial monitoring did not yield any abnormality this is not anything serious, or on going and likely not to cause any permanent damage to your sons health.
So, the best course of action will be to go on ahead with the Holter monitoring, to rule out any cardiac dysrhythmia.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service, if satisfied.
If you have more concerns and queries, reply back without rating the answer.
Best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

It was my pleasure.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.