Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

RA:MN

Customer Question

I am 70 and was prescribed Vagifem 25 mcg by my Doctor and inserted 3 vaginal tablets per week and the burning pain and cystitis symtoms went after a few weeks. Now it is no longer possible to obtain this, only Vagifem 10 mcg. I have used this for three weeks and the burning pain has returned as bad as ever. My own Dr. is on holiday and another Dr told me over the phone last week to use several more tablets for a week to see if it helped. However it has not. I cannot use Vaginal creams, because I found they burn.XXXX.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Vagifem 10 is just as effective as Vagifem 25. The dose was decreased to decrease absorption into the blood stream.. You just need to start the regimen over again.

Use one tablet EVERY NIGHT for 2 full weeks then cut back to your maintenance dose of 3 times per week. This should provide good estrogen effect of the vaginal mucosa.

If you have a lot of external irritation, try Aquaphor cream for relief. You may need to ask the pharmacist for it but it is over the counter. Its clear and hypoallergenic.

I hope this information is helpful to you.