Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have sudden itching on my back for the last two days, spread

I have sudden itching on my back for the last two days, spread to my shoulders now. Not previously had anything like this before and think it may sound silly if I go to my GP with this symptom Not much to see except for a bit of redness probably as a result of scratching

Also, just a nagging thought, I spent Sunday clearing deceased relative's room which had been left for a year, I did not see anything untoward but could there have been some sort of insect that got to me?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

DR HASAN :

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also.

DR HASAN :

As per symptoms this sounds like allergy or some insect bite. Other causes like shingles etc can be considered but if you don't have any burning pain with this itching then definitely this can't be your cause.

DR HASAN :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab claritin once daily helps my patients. Along with this massage of the area of itching with OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream twice daily and calamine lotion twice daily are of great benefit.

DR HASAN :

If the above measures don't help then a visit to GP can be made but hopefully it will not be required.

DR HASAN :

Always try not to scratch the skin hard because it let secondary invasion of bacteria.

DR HASAN :

The above measures usually take 24 hours to help and if you don't feel any relief in 48 hours then see your GP.

DR HASAN :

Lastly i would lie to assure you that as per symptoms nothing sounds serious so please don't stress yourself.

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

DR HASAN :

I have noticed that you have just entered the chat.

DR HASAN :

Please read my answer and get back to me, if you have any question.

DR HASAN :

Have you read my answer?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
sally i am sorry i was not able to get your reply in chat. I have addressed your concerns above in the chat. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know what Claritin is. I am in England. Does it have another name here? is it an antihistamine?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Sally i am sorry for the inconvenience you faced in getting an answer. Claritin is an antihistamine and it is available in England also. However you can simply ask for tab citrizine. Its the generic name. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I will try your recommendation and let you know if it sorted out my problem

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome. Yes sure i will wait for your reply. Please remember to rate my answer, you can come back on this page even after you have rated the answer. Don't worry you will feel better soon. Regards