Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I am taking amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day. I feel much

Customer Question

Hi I am taking amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day. I feel much better can I return to normal exercise. I am training for a half marathon am I able to do training for this while on anti biotics?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, it is fine to train and participate in normal exercise while taking the amoxicillin.

The potential issue, though, is with the infection being treated by the amoxicillin. Many infections will cause the person to be generally ill, weak, or tired, and it would be unwise to participate in significant exercise until these symptoms resolve. Even after resolution, it would be appropriate to build up the exercise over several days, rather than simply resuming normal exercise the first day that you feel well. On the other hand, if it is a minor infection that does not cause any of these symptoms, then it would be fine to exercise without any build up in the intensity of the exercise.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.