Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

treating polymyalgia longterm in elderly

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

1) Kindly please mention what all remedies have been tried for the patient ?

2) Also is the patient diabetic or hypertensive ( increased blood pressure ) ?

3) What all drugs are being used currently ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the patient is not diabetic or hypertensive and is presentently being treated with 3 steriods daily...this condition is recurring

Thanks for the inputs.

Well I believe steroids are mostly used as a last resort when none of the drugs prove to be effective, however it is always advisable to exhaust one's options before using steroids.

So I am suggesting you a drug combination which is readily used for polymyalgia which In his case too prove to be effective and that is.

1) Lyrica ( pregabalin ) starting at 75 mg dose at night time and after 1 week raising the dose to 50 mg dose in the morning and 75 mg in the night making total daily dose of 125 mg/ day.

2) methylcobalamin capsule at dose of 750 mcg twice a day making total dose of 1500 mg / day.

Kindly discuss this with his doctor and try this combination and wait for initial 2-3 weeks so as to witness significant improvement in his polymyalgia. This much initial period is to be given to this drug regime so as to let the drugs reach steady state plasma levels in the system which is essential to produce desired effects. Once this combination starts to show it's benefits on his polymyalgia then the fate of dis-continuation of steroids can be discussed with the doctor.

Kindly see link below for more information on lyrica.

http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/9162/SPC/LYRICA/

Kindly discuss this with his doctor and hopefully he will see reason in prescribing this combination.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..