Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi. Just over 2 1/2 weeks ago I had a ERPC due to a miscarriage.

Hi. Just over 2 1/2 weeks ago I had a ERPC due to a miscarriage. Bleeding has been fine (only like a light period), but yesterday started heavier & passing a few clots. I was told passing clots is normal, but to expect bleeding anywhere from 5 days to 10 days (possibly 2 weeks). It doesn't seem to be stopping for me as yet & wondering if this is normal? I have no temp, cramps or any other pain. Whilst in hospital was told I do have a fibroid - could this cause problems with bleeding too?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Have you been back for follow up exam?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. they said I would be called back in 2-3 months

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
The fact is that some bleeding could go on more than 10 days but it should be getting better, not worse.

So in this case I would call them, not wait for the appointment, go in and be checked.

That said...yes, fibroids can bleed and you might have this confounding the situation.

Infetion needs to be ruled out as well.

It is always better to err on the side of safety and arrange an extra follow up if things are not progressing exactly as planned.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your advice.

What can be the reasons that bleeding continues beyond what is considered normal?

I am currently not as heavy as a normal period, but seems heavier than when I had the ERPC done. I could go all day with nothing, but then have it all at once (one time). That seems to be the pattern.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I saw the relist for aid from another expert.

the bleeding could be continuing because of the fibroid. because of trauma to the uterine lining. continued hormonal changes could cause bleeding.

that is good that the bleeding is not as heavy as normal period bleeding.

but the bleeding should not be heavier than when the procedure is done.

I would make a follow up appointment to see a gyn doctor and consider a uterine ultrasound to make sure there was no trauma to the uterus or cervix from the ERPC procedure which could be causing this continued bleeding.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician