Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have seizures that are deemed to be non-epileptic in origin.

I have seizures that are deemed to be non-epileptic in origin. I have now been diagnosed with hyperprolatinaemia and the doctor suggested this could also be the cause of my seizures. This has never before been mentioned as a possibility. Unfortunately, I do not have the opportunity to see this doctor again as she was simply the on-call on duty when I had a seizure during a recent hospital admission. Could you tell me what the chances are that hyperprolactinaemia could be causing the seizures and, if so, what do I need to be doing/asking my GP? I've had the seizures for 15 years now and no-one has come up with a solution yet so I'm cynical that this is the right answer. However, I'm also getting pretty desperate and am willing to look to any avenue for help.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Prolactin is produced from the pituitary gland located in the brain.

Mysticdoc :

Amenorrhea suggests you have low female hormones which is likely related to the high prolactin level.

Mysticdoc :

High prolactin level also can be associated with seizures.

Mysticdoc :

This is likely due to the pituitary adenoma meaning a small tumor in the pituitary gland.

Mysticdoc :

This can be a focus for seizures in some cases.

Mysticdoc :

To diagnose this possibility, you need a MRI scan of the brain with pituitary protocol ( this is the exact name of the scan, not just MRI of the brain).

Mysticdoc :

You need to ask your GP about this and also a referral to a neurologist if possible.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Would I therefore be correct in thinking that, if there is no tumor, then the high prolactin isn't causing the seizures, but if there is, it's the likely cause? The MRI scan will confirm either way?

Mysticdoc :

That is a good question.

Mysticdoc :

High prolcatin level may still cause seizures in the absence of tumor.

Mysticdoc :

In that case, a trial of birth control pills can be given to restore your period and will also decrease the prolactin level.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help. I will book in with my doctor to investigate further.